loader image

Report: Marine 1-2 Farsley Celtic

Ten-man Farsley Celtic had to show tremendous character to extend their unbeaten run in the league with a 2-1 win over Marine.

Things were going swimmingly at half-time with the Celts leading 2-0 after goals from Ben Atkinson and Dave Syers but Jimmy Spencer’s red card early in the second half put the points in peril.

Niall Cummins halved the gap with 20 minutes to go to leave an uncomfortable final 20 minutes but Adam Lakeland’s side held on to claim the win and keep pace with the leaders at the top of the Evo-Stik Premier Division.

There were few clear-cut chances in the opening encounters but on 18 minutes, the Celts were awarded a penalty after Spencer was felled by Liam Hynes on the edge of the box. Ben Atkinson stepped up to slot home his ninth goal of the season, firing to the left of goalkeeper Paddy Wharton from 12 yards.

The visitors continued to create the better of the first-half chances, with Jack Higgins firstly heading over from Ben Atkinson’s free-kick cross before Spencer forced a good save from Wharton on 37 minutes.

But the pressure paid off on 40 minutes as Syers rose the highest to head home Isaac Baldwin’s excellent free kick – he first goal since re-joining the club earlier in the month.

Marine started the second half brighter and on 47 minutes Kyle Trenerry produced a brilliant save to deny a long-range strike from Steve Irwin.

The pivotal point in the second half came on 56 minutes when referee Richard Holmes halted play to speak to one of his assistants. The official then called over Farsley forward Spencer and brandished a red card for dissent towards his colleague.

The dismissal proved a huge blow for Farsley, with the loss of talisman Spencer seriously disrupting the team’s rhythm. It also buoyed Marine and after a barrage of chances, they closed the gap as Sam Tattum crossed to Cummins who headed home on 69 minutes.

Adam Lakeland switched tactics and the Celts look a little less unsettled but the Liverpudlians continued the more likely to score and on 82 minutes Trenerry made another great save to deny Elstone.

Farsley continued to soak up the pressure and almost made it 3-1 with a quick counter from Jack Dyche but the hosts’ keeper saved well with his foot.

A nervy five minutes of stoppage time passed as Celtic held onto their one goal lead to make it nine games unbeaten in the league.

Marine: Wharton, Tattum, Short, Shaw, Strickland, Hynes, Carney (Murray 68), Irwin, Mitchley, Cummins, Edge (Elstone 63).
Subs not used: Kinsella, Marsden, Mendes

Farsley Celtic: Trenerry, L Turner, Baldwin, Higgins, Ellis, Clayton, B Atkinson (Parkin 88), C Atkinson, Spencer, Cartman (Dyche 82), Syers (Walker 82).
Sub not used: Bett

Referee: Richard Holmes
Attendance: 359

    Leave Your Comment Here