loader image

Report: Farsley Celtic 3-1 Whitby Town

Farsley Celtic made it seven straight league wins as they defeated Whitby Town 3-1 in a Yorkshire derby at Throstle Nest.

Goals from Dave Syers, Jimmy Spencer and Ben Atkinson helped the Celts to three points, despite Callum Patton having drawn the visitors’ level 10 minutes into the second half.

A delighted Adam Lakeland said: “I’m delighted that we’ve won the game. It was a tough game, in the first half I thought we were the better team, but in the second half they started the brighter.

“In a game of football like that you’re looking for somebody to do something that will lift everybody, the supporters and the team, and we got that through Dave Syers who I thought was unbelievable.”

After a lively start from Farsley it was Whitby who fashioned the first effort on goal, as Kyle Trenerry had to be out quickly to save Ashley Coffey’s effort.

Whitby shot-stopper Adam McHugh was then forced into action for the first time, first saving from Jimmy Spencer before palming away Dave Syers’ fierce strike on the turn.

Just moments after being denied by McHugh, Dave Syers managed to come out on top as a terrific strike from long range nestled into the bottom corner with the Whitby ‘keeper rooted to the spot.

Whitby came close to levelling the scores just before half-time, as Callum Patton had his shot parried by Kyle Trenerry, with Isaac Baldwin on hand to hook the rebound away to safety.

The visitors picked up where they left off to start the second period, with Coffey seeing an effort saved by Trenerry, and Patton smashing the rebound against the upright from a tight angle.

Callum Patton was then on hand to fire in the equaliser for Whitby, a corner dropping to the forward on the edge of the box, with his effort finding the back of the net.

Midway through the second half the Celts regained their advantage, a thunderous strike from 25-yards out by Dave Syers crashing onto the crossbar, with Jimmy Spencer reacting quickly to slot home the rebound for his 10th league goal of the season.

Farsley were able to move two goals clear and effectively seal the victory with 15 minutes remaining, Jack Dyche winning a penalty just two minutes after entering the fray as he attempted to squeeze between the challenges of Toby Lees and Kieran Weledji. Ben Atkinson stepped up and sent McHugh the wrong way to score his second penalty in two games.

The home side didn’t sit back after that, and McHugh had to be alert to parry Luke Parkin’s strike from 18 yards, and then clung on to Isaac Baldwin’s curling effort after a terrific run from the left-back.

One blemish on the victory for Farsley was an injury to Jack Dyche sustained late on, with the impactful forward leaving the field on a stretcher.

Farsley Celtic: Trenerry, L. Turner (Parkin 36), Baldwin, Higgins, Ellis ©, Clayton, B. Atkinson, C. Atkinson, Spencer, Syers, Walker (Dyche 71 (Bett 90+2)). Unused subs: Cartman.

Whitby Town: McHugh, Weledji, Sukar, Gell, Lees, White, Scott, Rutherford (Tymon 52), Coffey, Patton, Maloney (Hopson 62). Unused subs: Bullock, McTiernan, Norton (GK).

MOTM: Dave Syers
Attendance: 324

    Leave Your Comment Here