loader image

Report: Trafford 2-1 Farsley Celtic

Farsley missed out on a first chance of silverware in 2019 following a 2-1 loss to Trafford in the Integro Sport Cup Final, writes Mark Rawlinson.

The Celts, leaders of the Evo-Stik Premier Division, came into the match as big favourites against Division One West side Trafford, but were far from their best in the first half and fell behind to Adam Farrell‘s effort.

Chris Atkinson’s excellent strike on 48 minutes drew Farsley level but Darius Palma quickly put Trafford back in front, and they were able to hang on to secure the trophy at FC United of Manchester’s Broadhurst Park ground.

Celtic were let off the hook on 14 minutes when the ball was given away to Declan Ryding but the forward’s heavy touch prevented him from a shot at Kyle Trenerry and instead ran out of play.

But Farsley almost grabbed the opener on 18 minutes when an unlucky Danny Ellis saw his flicked header clip off the post.

Then on the half hour mark, Dave Syers saw his excellent strike from 25-yards palmed around the post by a fine save from Matthew Cooper.

However Trafford netted the first goal of the game on 37 minutes from a counter attack move as Ross Davidson powered down the right wing before finding Farrell who slammed the ball past Trenerry.

On 39 minutes, Syers knocked down a cross to Nathan Cartman but the forward was unusually wasteful with the opportunity and fired way over the bar.

The Celts got the goal they were chasing three minutes after the break as Chris Atkinson produced a superb strike from 25 yards out which found the bottom corner.

But parity was short-lived as Palma dribbled the ball excellently past two Farsley defenders before clinically finishing past Trenerry to put his side 2-1 ahead.

Farsley dominated possession for the remaining third of the match but would struggle to break down a firm Trafford backline. The first of a string of chances came on 66 minutes as Syers headed just wide from Will Hayhurst’s cross.

Then 10 minutes later, Syers’ effort hit the post as the Celts were denied by the goal frame for the second time in the match.

The lively former Bradford City, Doncaster Rovers and Scunthorpe United midfielder was denied again on 83 minutes when he latched onto Isaac Baldwin’s cross from the left, only to head straight at the goalkeeper.

As the match entered stoppage time, there was a feeling that it just wasn’t meant to be for the Celts as another inspired save from Cooper this time denied Hayhurst’s rasping shot. From the resulting corner Syers was then denied twice by two last-gasp goal-line clearances as Trafford were able to see out the final minutes to claim the title.

Farsley Celtic: Trenerry, B Atkinson (Boateng 83), Higgins, Ellis, Clayton (Baldwin 24), Syers, C Atkinson, Spencer, Cartman, Walker (Parkin 62).
Subs not used: Bower, Bett.

Trafford FC: Cooper, Moore, Amado, Jones, Egerton, O’Brien, Dorney, Davidson, Farrell, Ryding (Palmer 79), Palma (Wilkins 86).
Subs not used: Taylor, Ellis, Fawns.

Referee: Kristian Silcock
Attendance: 668

    Leave Your Comment Here