loader image

Report: Farsley Celtic 0-1 Guiseley

Farsley Celtic suffered a second defeat to local rivals Guiseley in the space of a week as the Lions ground out a 1-0 win at the Citadel.

Chris Sang’s second-half effort against the run of play proved to be the difference between the two sides as Farsley were left to rue a number of missed chances, with Marcus Dewhurst in the Guiseley goal making multiple splendid saves.

Farsley Celtic Manager Adam Lakeland believed his side had done enough to take something from the game, as he said: “It’s disappointing really because I felt to lose the game was incredibly harsh on us today.

“Boxing Day we were well beaten, I think today we didn’t deserve to lose the game, and ultimately our inability to convert the chances and pressure that we put on them all second-half has cost us alongside not dealing with one long throw.”

Farsley started the game brightly and after a couple of half-chances, Guiseley ‘keeper Marcus Dewhurst was worked for the first time by Will Hayhurst who created space for himself inside the box, before his powerful strike was punched clear.

Guiseley’s best chance of the opening period came 35 minutes in as Kaine Felix won the ball on the right wing and picked out George Cantrill in the middle, but the midfielder shot wide.

A relatively quiet first-half came to a close with the sides level, however it wasn’t long after the restart when Farsley came close to edging in front. Tom Allan rose highest to meet Will Hayhurst’s corner but was denied by the excellent Dewhurst who parried to safety.

The Celt Army then had strong shouts for a penalty just before the hour mark as Andrai Jones appeared to handle a long ball in the box. The referee instead decided the offence was just outside the box, and awarded a free-kick which came to nothing.

Despite Farsley’s pressure it was the visitors who broke the deadlock, as a long throw flicked off Tom Allan, who appealed that he had been fouled, through to Chris Sang who was unmarked at the far post and tapped home.

That goal saw the introduction of Jimmy Spencer, returning from injury, who helped to cause Guiseley’s defence numerous problems as Farsley pushed for an equaliser.

Nathan Cartman put a free header agonisingly wide at the near post with 10 minutes remaining and minutes later another chance was squandered as Dewhurst tipped over Dave Syers’ header.

Adam Lakeland’s side had one final chance in added time as the ball pinged around the box before Jack Higgins scuffed inches wide of the upright, the Lions hanging on for the three points to complete an excellent festive period, while Farsley are left wondering how they failed to grab at least a point from the game.

Farsley Celtic: Trenerry, Richards, Allan, Higgins, Ellis ©, C. Atkinson, B. Atkinson (Walton 85), Syers, Francis (Spencer 70), Cartman (Parkin 85), Hayhurst. Unused subs: Wynne, Clayton.
Guiseley AFC: Dewhurst, McNally, Nicholson, Jones, Bencherif ©, Digie, Felix (Shaw 88), Cantrill, Sang, Soleman, Johnson. Unused subs: Smith, Barkers, Clayton, Newall.

Referee: Mr. Michael Barlow
Attendance: 1,010

    Leave Your Comment Here