loader image

Report: Kettering Town 1-0 Farsley Celtic

Farsley Celtic slipped to a third defeat in four games as they suffered a 1-0 loss away to relegation-battling Kettering Town.

Michael Richens’ strike 20 minutes in proved to be the difference between the sides, and despite a late rally Farsley were unable to get back into the game.

Farsley Celtic Manager Adam Lakeland was disappointed with the result and bemoaned his side’s performance in the first-half as he said: “We were miles off it first-half, made errors, didn’t compete will enough right across the pitch, lost too many individual battles and didn’t get to grips with their shape which was disappointing.

“For as bad as we were, we’ve had an opportunity to get back into the game with a penalty which Will (Hayhurst) has missed, but he’s scored loads of penalties for us.

“We changed shape at half-time and I thought we were better second-half, although when you’re chasing the game you always leave yourself a bit open and they had opportunities on the break where they should have wrapped the game up.”

Kettering were dominant from the start, and fashioned the first opening when Tre Mitford broke down the left wing only for his shot to be well held by Kyle Trenerry.

But the Poppies were soon deservedly in front after substitute Michael Richens curled a strike from range into the bottom right corner.

Farsley were given a big chance to get back in the game midway through the half when Tyler Walton was pulled back in the box as he attempted to shoot, and the referee pointed to the spot. However, the opportunity was squandered as Will Hayhurst’s spot-kick was saved by Paul White who dived low to his right.

Less than 60 seconds later the hosts were awarded a penalty of their own as Daniel Nti was brought down in the box by Trenerry. Brett Solkhon stepped up to take the penalty but struck his effort firmly against the post with the rebound fired wide.

The Celt Army received another huge let off in the early stages of the second-half as Marcus Kelly’s cross created an almighty scrambled in the box with Gary Stohrer hitting the upright in the melee.

Farsley then suffered a big blow on the hour mark as a late challenge by Nti on Kyle Trenerry resulted in the shot-stopper being carried off on a stretcher, requiring x-rays to assess the extent of the damage.

Trenerry’s replacement Elliot Wynne was called into action straightaway with Connor Kennedy racing through on goal, and Wynne did enough to force the forward into blasting over.

Nathan Cartman saw a goal ruled out in the final 10 minutes for a push earlier in the move, before the big chance came in the final minute as Chris Atkinson swept Jordan Richards’ excellent delivery towards goal, however White made an excellent save as the Poppies held on.

Kettering Town: White, Stohrer, Taylor, Graham ©, McGrath, Solkhon, Nti, Mitford (O’Connor 86), Kennedy, Milnes (Richens 4), Kelly. Unused subs: Carta, Harding.

Farsley Celtic: Trenerry (Wynne 60), Richards, Allan, Higgins, Ellis ©, C. Atkinson, Walton, Syers, Spencer (B. Atkinson 71), Cartman, Hayhurst (Clayton 86). Unused subs: Parkin, Bett.

Attendance: 667
Referee: Mr. Matt Corlett

    Leave Your Comment Here