loader image

Report: Farsley Celtic 1-2 Hereford

Farsley fell to a disappointing 1-2 defeat at hands of Hereford at the Citadel, writes Joe Marriott.

Goals from Tom Owen-Evans and Kelsey Mooney were enough to see off the Celts, who really struggled to combat Hereford’s almost relentless first-half pressure.

Hereford began in perfect fashion, scoring a goal within 5 minutes. A cross from the left was only cleared as far as Owen-Evans who volleyed into the bottom left corner from 18 yards. Hereford refused to let up as the half progressed, peppering the Farsley box with crosses in their search for a second. Farsley spurned their only real opportunity of the first half, Jimmy Spencer blazing over when well place after beating the offside trap.

Farsley improved in the second half before Spencer clashed with Jason Pope, leaving the centre back in a heap. Brandon Hall rushed to the defence of his teammate, resulting in some pushing and shoving by the corner flag. Both Hall and Spencer received yellow cards. Undeterred, Farsley continued in their pursuit for an equaliser but were caught on the counter on 65 minutes, Lenell John-Lewis raced in behind the Farsley backline before unselfishly squaring to Mooney to tap home. Farsley responded with a double change but it could have been all over just moments later, Mooney cutting inside and crashing a curling effort off the crossbar with Barnes beaten.

This seemed to reinvigorate the home side who halved the deficit on 74 minutes after a sublime 25-yard free-kick into the bottom corner, courtesy of Will Hayhurst. Farsley continued to push for an equaliser but could not breach the resolute Hereford defence. The best chance to equalise fell to Dave Syers deep into added time, a long ball forward was allowed to bounce by the Hereford defence, but Syers could only head straight at Hall. It could have been even worse for the Celts had it not been for a flying goal line clearance from Chris Atkinson in the dying seconds.

Farsley Celtic: Barnes, Richards, Regan, C. Atkinson, Ellis (C), Clayton, B Atkinson (67’ Cartman), Syers, Spencer, Hayhurst, Walton (67’ Parkin).
Subs not used: Bower, Maltby, Bett.

Hereford: Hall, Hodgkiss (C), Anderson, Pollock (90+1’ Cullinane-Liburd), Pope, Riley, O’Sullivan (82’ Thomas), Jagger-Cane, John-Lewis, Mooney, Owen-Evans.
Subs not used: Liburd, Brown, Ash

    Leave Your Comment Here