loader image

Report: Gateshead 2-3 Farsley Celtic

Farsley Celtic progressed to the FA Trophy third round with a dramatic 3-2 comeback victory over Gateshead.

It was the second time in just over a month that a dramatic winner has seen the Celts defeat the full-time outfit, and this time it was Jimmy Spencer who struck in the dying moments.

A victory was no less than Farsley deserved with both sides creating numerous opportunities throughout, and it now sets up a trip to National League side Solihull Moors on Saturday.

A jubilant Adam Lakeland said: “I’m delighted as you say, and I thought we deserved it, I really did.

“What a reaction and response from the players (after going 2-1 down), they really stood up and went through the gears, and took the initiative in the game.

“I feel like we we’re evolving, I feel like we’re improving all the time. Let’s have it right, these are a full-time club, and they’re a very, very good team.”

Farsley started the game on the front foot, and Luke Parkin almost put his side in front when his curling effort from inside the box was superbly saved by Harrison Male.

And from the resulting corner, the Celts were ahead. Tom Allan met Will Hayhurst’s delivery at the near post and glanced his header past Male.

However, Gateshead were level within a minute. Macaulay Langstaff crossed low from the right for Ged Garner who slid home from inside the six-yard box.

Garner then almost hit the target himself as he struck the inside of the upright, with his curling effort on his left foot from a tight angle always bending slightly away from goal.

The hosts continued to pressure the Farsley goal from the ensuing corner, with Steven Drench denying Greg Olley before Dave Syers made a tremendous block to deny Mike Williamson from point-blank range.

The Celt Army did continue to trouble the Heed on the break, and Jordan Richards came inches away from hitting the target after being played in by Tyler Walton and flashing a shot just wide of the far post.

Just like in the first half, Adam Lakeland’s side started the second-half brightly when just two minutes in Jimmy Spencer found Parkin in space on the right, but the forward struck across goal and wide.

It was Gateshead who would take the lead, just after the hour mark, as Dan Ward raced down the right and flashed the ball across goal for Langstaff to turn home.

With just over a quarter of an hour remaining Parkin hauled Farsley level, as he found himself in the right place at the right time to prod home after Richards’ strike cannoned back off the upright.

Greg Olley then had a big chance to re-establish Gateshead’s lead almost immediately as he went through one-on-one with Drench, but he fired straight at the ‘keeper.

However, it would be Farsley who found the crucial next goal. As penalties loomed, Jake Charles flicked on Richards’ cross for Spencer who made no mistake from six-yards out, heading home past a helpless Male for his fourth goal in five games.

Gateshead: Male, Nicholson (Hunter 46), Dale, Williamson (Forbes 59), Langstaff (Ogbewe 82), Garner, Olley, Aplin, Ward, Cooper, Deverdics ©. Unused subs: Cameron (GK), Smith, Greenfield, Bolton.

Farsley Celtic: Drench, Richards, Hayhurst, C. Atkinson, Allan, Clayton ©, Walton (Charles 82), Johnston, Spencer, Syers, Parkin (B. Atkinson 90). Unused subs: Kelly (GK), Brown-Smith, West, Ellis, Goldthorp.

    Leave Your Comment Here