loader image

Reporting A Safeguarding Concern



If you are worried about a child, it’s vital you report your concerns. Doing nothing is not an option.

It’s also important you stay calm, and if any child is present, reassure them they are not to blame. But don’t make promises of confidentiality or outcome.

There are five ways to report a concern:

• To your club or league Designated Safeguarding Manager
• To your County FA Designated Safeguarding Officer.
• By emailing The FA Case Management Safeguarding Team at Safeguarding@TheFA.com
• If urgent and you cannot contact your club, league or County FA Designated Safeguarding Officer, you should call the NSPCC 24 hour helpline on 0808 800 5000
• If it is an emergency because a child or children are at immediate risk, then call the Police or Children’s Social Care in your area.

Whistle Blowing

Whistle-blowing in a safeguarding context means revealing and raising concerns over misconduct or malpractice within an organisation, or within an independent structure associated with it.

It can be used as an early-warning system or when it’s recognised that appropriate actions
have not been taken. This approach or policy is adopted in many different walks of life.

Any adult or young person with concerns about a colleague’s conduct towards a child or
young person can also use whistle-blowing by emailing: Safeguarding@TheFA.com

Alternatively, concerns can be reported:
• Direct to the local Police or Children’s Social Care services, or

• The Child Protection in Sport Unit at cpsu@nspcc.org.uk, or The NSPCC Helpline on 0808 800 5000 or email: help@nspcc.org.uk