loader image

Report: Eccleshill United 1-4 Farsley Celtic

By James O’Reilly

Farsley Celtic had an ideal start to their pre-season, winning their first friendly of the new campaign 4-1, at Eccleshill United.

Despite falling behind to a second minute goal, they had restored parity by half-time through talismanic forward Jimmy Spencer.

A double from Tyler Walton after the break put Farsley right in control, before academy player Louis Fialdini netted the fourth late in the game, on his first appearance in the senior team.

The Celts were caught off guard in the early knockings of the match when Eccleshill’s Talent Ndlovu played a ball in behind the Farsley defence. The pass was picked up by a trialist for the home side, who handed United the lead within the opening couple of minutes.

In its entirety, the first half was a slow, stop-start affair. Neither side were able to form many clear-cut chances, with most being nullified before they became dangerous. Still, this didn’t stop the Celts from equalising just after the half-hour mark. New signing Ben McKenna floated a ball into the box to striker Jimmy Spencer and, though his initial shot was well saved, he was on hand to tap in the rebound.

The teams went into half-time tied, but from there Farsley came out firing. Not long after the second half commenced, substitute Adam Clayton broke forward towards the Eccleshill goalkeeper. He saw his first shot saved and his second blocked on the line, but the ball then fell to Tyler Walton who was able to score and give Celtic a 2-1 lead.

From there, the game became one dominated by Farsley. The Celts were practically faultless throughout the half, their passes precise and their movements sudden. Jimmy Spencer came close to a second goal in the 57th minute, but saw his header glance just wide in what was the final act of a stunning team move.

Spencer turned provider for Farsley’s third, dazzling defenders on the wing before whipping in a cross that found Tyler Walton, who caught it on the volley and rifled in his team’s third, and his second, goal of the game.

The Celts maintained their pressure, which would eventually result in their fourth goal of the match. The ball was crossed in from deep, finding the head of defender Adam Barton. Barton knocked the ball down into the path of academy player Louis Fialdini, who couldn’t miss the open goal ahead of him.

The resounding victory puts Farsley in good stead for the remaining pre-season, which continues on Tuesday night with a trip to Thackley AFC, before the Celts play host to Scunthorpe United on Saturday.

Farsley Celtic: Trenerry, Richards (Broe 75), Hayhurst, Barton, Ellis (Clayton 45), Syers, Byrom (Trialist 59), Walker, Spencer (Bett 83), McKenna, Walton (Fialdini 75).

    Leave Your Comment Here